stakeout - surveillance of some place or some person by a private investigator, or law enforcement agent in anticipation of a crime or suspicious activity.
Surveillance is the monitoring of behavior.
Systems Surveillance is the process of monitoring the behavior of people, objects or processes within systems for conformity to expected or desired norms in trusted systems for security or social control.
the term is often used for all forms of observation or monitoring, not just visual observation.
Through surveillance, a number of activities can be uncovered. Here are five situations in which someone might hire a private investigator to conduct surveillance.
1. A spouse suspects that his wife or her husband may be cheating. This is a common situation in which a private investigator is hired to conduct surveillance. When you hire an investigator, you'll no longer have to sit at home and wonder if your spouse is out with someone else, where he or she is supposed to be or if your suspicions have merit. He or she can be watched from a distance, followed to certain locations and – if necessary – photographed to provide the necessary evidence of an affair.
2. Before joining in on a new business venture, an entrepreneur wants to verify that their investor is who he or she claims to be. In this case, surveillance by a private investigator will involve conducting a background check – something that can also be done by parents who are looking to hire a live in nanny or by homeowners or business owners who are looking to hire a general contractor for work. Similarly, surveillance may be done by a families who are looking into care facilities for elderly loved ones to ensure that they will be getting the best care possible.
3. An employer suspects that one of his or her employees may be embezzling from the company. When a business owner feels that an employee is being disloyal to or stealing from the business, it is important to identify which employee is at fault. Surveillance with cameras or even through the computer network can help to identify the source of the problem.
4. When an absentee parent stops making child support payments, a private investigator may be called in to conduct surveillance to determine if and where the person is living and working. Similar investigations may be conducted to identify the location of those who owe a business money and are refusing to pay.
5. Insurance companies may ask a private investigator to conduct surveillance when they suspect that someone who was injured in an accident may be overstating their injuries. Surveillance in this case may uncover the person participating in activities that their limitations should prohibit – giving the insurance companies grounds for no longer making payments to that individual.
Are their other reasons why someone may consider hiring a private investigator to conduct surveillance? Of course there are.
If you suspect that surveillance should be conducted to determine the actions of another individual, do not try to do it yourself. A private investigator will have a strong sense of regulations in your area and will be able to conduct that surveillance is legal and safe – surveillance that you'll be able to use to prove your case, if it comes to that.
If you think that you need the surveillance that a private investigator can provide, contact someone in your area who can answer your questions.